UO Server

Announcements about the forum or services itself
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

I've been thinking of starting a UO server. It's just something I've been pondering on mostly, not sure if I'll do it but I'd like to. My question is, would anyone here be interested in playing? And would you invite friends on it?

Basically, if I can get the funding nessesary for it, I'll go nuts and get a dedicated server. I'd start off by hosting it in my basement, but bandwidth would be an issue so we'd have to go with a remotely managed dedicated server at some point.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:28720
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
sintekk

UO Server

Post by sintekk »

Seeing as I can't post in the Iceteks UO thread you made...

I'd probably be down for playing on that, as long as the server is relatively 'nub-friendly', as I haven't played much Ultima Online at all. Also, seeing as it'd be relatively low-traffic for a while, how solo-oriented are you planning on making the server?

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29170
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

You can't post in that topic? You should be able to, I'll check into that.

At first I'd probably promote it just a bit and see how it picks up. There would be a beta phase where you get all the items you need, easy skill gaining etc then when I think it's working ok I'd find a dedicated host online and move the server there, and "veterans" would keep all what they have. I've been on many shards, or situations where I had to restart, and it is boring at first, so my main goal would be to make starting off easier and more fun.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29171
sintekk

UO Server

Post by sintekk »

What you described sound pretty cool. I have no clue if Ultima is a good game, as I couldn't get past the godawful graphics when I first booted it up, but I'm willing to give it another go :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29172
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

:lol: Don't expect nice graphics from that game, but game play is pretty cool. It's not linear like most games, you go do what you want, go kill stuff, make stuff, etc... I'd also try to add more unusual things like more randomization in spawns, etc. All depends how easy it is to script though, I'll have to set it up in a VM or something to see how it's managed, never done it before, I just know I have to learn C# which I don't know yet. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29173
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

Ya, I'd play on the shard for sure. It's nice to be on a shard like Demise which has a good 300 + players at any given time, but if you had your own shard you could customize it if you knew how to script. Starting out would be a bit boring, but if you get players, it'll be good :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29184
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Soon I want to setup RunUO and see how easy/hard it is to customize stuff and then make it go live as soon as it works. It won't be a shard to replace the "main" shard that people play on, but as it becomes more stable and playable then we'll see how things go from there.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29185
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Oh and I fixed the permission issue and moved the new topic in this one.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29186
sintekk

UO Server

Post by sintekk »

Hey, red, saw at the AF you were looking at WoW? There are several server emulators for that floating out there, and the game client isn't too hard to acquire...

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29212
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah thought of that too. Though my friends already setted up a server so that's why I want to do UO instead. They had one setup then turned it into a WoW server. :lol: I see my grades going down this year if I get addicted to another game. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29214
sintekk

UO Server

Post by sintekk »

Don't worry about getting addicted to WoW if you are playing thru an emulator, it's definately... well, not quite right yet :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29215
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Well I think there's only like 2 people so far on the server, so yeah. :lol:

Hey I just realized if I setup my UO server, I won't get lag anymore since I can connect locally through a 100mbps link. :P Sucks to be whoever's connecting through my DSL line though. :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29216
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

Damn, I shouldn't battle you then. It'll be like the blur **Suddenly falls off horse**.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29219
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

:lol:

Crap I'm loosing! *goes downstairs to unplug modem, finishes battle, plugs it back in*

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29220
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

Requested Item:

BloodBow

Abyss Slayer
40% Hit life Leech
40% Hit Stamina Leech
Dexterity Bonus 5
Mana Regeneration 1
10% Hit Chance Increase
10% Hit Flamestrike
100% Physical Damage
Luck 130
Weapon Damage 20-24
Weapon Speed 35
Range 14
Strength Requirement 50
Two-Handed Weapon
Weapon Skill: Archery
Durability 255

You can hook me up with that, right Ryan? ;) . It needs to be red too :P like this devil face: :evilsmile:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29224
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Oh ya that will be fun, making items and throwing them in random spawns. :D

But to make it fun for myself too I'd figure a way to make it randomized so myself I would not know where it goes.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29226
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

I have sunUO sitting on my desktop waiting to be installed on my linux server. Just got other stuff to do but once I get around to it I'll play with the shard locally and make it go live once I got everything figured out. At first it will be very ordinary with not much, then I'll add stuff like custom spawns, loot, etc.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29494
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

Add the "red squirrel" champion. I small woodland creature that throws fire at everything :P

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29495
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hahahaha.

Actually I was thinking of having a spot where ALL the champions are prespawned. You walk there you're dead. LOL

Or I can put the piper in the middle of brit. :lol: I want to try out wacked stuff like that just for fun.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29496
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

hehehe ya, that would be kind of funny. I personally, have always wanted to see a water champion, one that spawns in the middle of the brittania lakes. a square like platform would be in the middle of the lake with the alter, then you got numerous water creatures that spawn. First would be, like dolphins and really weak water elementals, then it would be sea serpants and water elementals, then it would be deep sea serpants and kraken and then the champion would spawn which would be this huge blue octopus that does 8X hits and sends clouds of ink at you which poisons. It could also cast energy bolt and lightning and cause earthquakes. It would also benefit as being able to walk on land and water, so you'd get to chase it in your boat. If you were to die, you'd have to sail back on your boat to the nearest island where there are wandering healers :P.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29497
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

Red Squirrel wrote: Hahahaha.

Actually I was thinking of having a spot where ALL the champions are prespawned. You walk there you're dead. LOL

Or I can put the piper in the middle of brit. :lol: I want to try out wacked stuff like that just for fun.
ROFL we got owned by the piper so many times before we figured out how to kill him. Best was when Ian summoned Lord Oaks on my doorstep and I died while running into my house :roflmao2:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29498
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hahahaha, and was it srujan that died with his admin account after spawning a champ? :lol:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29499
Death

UO Server

Post by Death »

Red Squirrel wrote: Hahahaha, and was it srujan that died with his admin account after spawning a champ? :lol:
Hehehe, ya that was hillarious. It was the true harrower srujan died on. He went to go check it out with his admin and I went over and all I see is his gm robe and death scythe laying in front of the true harrower. 2 seconds later, all I see is "Ya, Balthazar, don't come here, this thing's tough!"

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29500
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm that could be interesting about the water champion idea. Once I start messing around I'll have to look into how easy/hard that would be.

Also I'm thinking of making it so you don't loose all your stuff when you die, but not sure on this one yet, as it would defeat the purpose of insuring/blessing items. I think what I'll do instead is make item bless deeds more accessable. Like you'd be able to buy them for 100000 or something, or get them in champions.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:29521
Red Squirrel

UO Server

Post by Red Squirrel »

I've been trying to get sunuo working in linux for over 2 days non stop, and no success at all, there's a crazy amount of dependancies and errors, it just grows worse and worse.

That said, I might just stick with windows, but that will mean we won't have a dedicated server, since I only want to get a linux dedicated server if I pay that type of monthly money, as I will host the site on it.

What I might do then is just set it up in a VM and if I see enough interest I'll come up with a better plan. Meanwhile I'll still keep trying to get it working in linux so I might get lucky and get it working. If I do, that would mean we would most likely not loose any game data during the transition to the dedicated server.

The possibility of a dedicated server is strictly dependant on if I can bring in enough cash with the site. Right now it's marginal so let's say 50 bucks more per month and I could afford one.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3523, old post ID:30129