An Unknown Virus or worm going around

Firewalls, routers, servers, switches, SANs, PBXes, security and related topics
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

It is unknown by Me but not by the av companys which is good.

heres the deal

it comes in to you as if it is from one of your friends and has no visable attachments. so you open it thinking it is a good message.

then your av program should find the viruse and kill it or heal the files.

well it did heal the files on my computer but then a few days later i went to send an email and do the spell check in the message.

the spell check would not work it kept trying to run microsoft picture it when ever i clicked spell check.?

i tryed the normal ask in some forums found lots of help but nothing fixed it not even the ms answer on their knowledge base had a fix.

so i tried today to open a photo file by double clicking on it. and got the same message i got when i tried to do spell check in outlook express?

which was to install picture it? but picture it is installed some was screwy?

so i thought there might be some bit rot in one of the files or maybe it was missing a file?

i reinstalled picture it from the old 2002 disk using the add programs program in the control panel and while it was installing it said it was copying new files?

being that the disk is 3 years old the new files from the disk meant that it was just replacing missing files or replacing bit rotted ones. either way it looks like when the av program healed the computer of the virus that was in the email it deleted or messed up some files in picture it and the same files are also use by outlook express's spell checker.

as both are working they way they are ment to work.

i have no idea what the name of the virus or worm is but the AVG program caught it. even though it seems to have caught it a second or too to late since the files were messed up it makes me think the virus or worm starts as soon as you click on the message title to select it to open it .

keep your av programs updated. B)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3505, old post ID:28380
roving cowboy/ keith
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Hmm odd, no attachment but still able to infect? Sounds like an Outlook only thing.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:3505, old post ID:28381
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!