I need help (for Turing)!!

Computer builds, hardware and software discussion or troubleshooting, including peripherals. Essentially a general place to talk about desktop computers.
FaZoNiCa

Post by FaZoNiCa »

Hey everyone!!

I need some help with Turing. I hope someone can help!!

For homework from my Grade 10 Computer Programming class, we have to write a few programs, using Turing, of course! I've done all but one, which I just can't figure out how to do. So if someone could maybe just give me a vague idea of how I can get it to work, that would be greatly appreciated!!

The question is:

"Create a program which will draw a line of "o"'s on a cartesian plane The centre of the screen should be the point (0,0). Allow the user to enter the values for m and b and the beginning and end points for x. Note, all values must be between -10 and +10."

If it helps, we just started Loops last week. All I've been able to do is get the user input, but when it comes to drawing the line, and figuring out how to place the points and all, I'm just lost. If it would help, I could post the codes I've written up so far...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19456
FaZoNiCa

Post by FaZoNiCa »

OOokay...I posted that BEFORE I found out that not many people on this forum know Turing, so you don't have to repeat that. :P Anywhoo, if anyone DOES know Turing, and can help, I'd really appreciate it!! :)

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19460
jamslam

Post by jamslam »

I haven't heard of it ever, in my life, until now. It appears to be a dumbed down programming language that is used to teach the basics of OOP to students with no programming background. It doesn't look like it does anything, though.

Link: http://www.holtsoft.com/turing/intro.html

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19467
FaZoNiCa

Post by FaZoNiCa »

Yup. Apparently it's like, really simplified to teach students programming? Or that's what my teacher said.. :thumbsup:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19472
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Yeah it`s probably mostly for teaching. I find it`s better to start with something harder like C++ though, that way you can make it do more stuff, and then if you learn something easier such as php it`s a brease. This is where years of experience don`t really matter since I have about 1-2 years of experience in C++ while I have about a year in php, and I`m 10 times better with php. You can`t really compare both since C++ is for appz while php is for web stuff, but learning the syntax and functions of c++ helped me get past the php basics and move on faster.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19475
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
FaZoNiCa

Post by FaZoNiCa »

Yup!! That makes sense. What does php stand for anyway? That is, if it stands for something? :grade11math:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19479
Red Squirrel

Post by Red Squirrel »

Somehow, I think it stands for hyper text preprocessor. PHP just stands better then HPP I guess. :D

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19480
Honk if you love Jesus, text if you want to meet Him!
FaZoNiCa

Post by FaZoNiCa »

lol. Cool, I never knew that!! :thumbsup:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:19574
wtd

Post by wtd »

It used to stand for "Personal HomePages". Now it's mostly just tradition.

Turing descends from Pascal, which was created by Nicholas Wirth for the purpose of teaching. However, it's become a rather successful commercial language through the years, currently living on primarily in Borland's Delphi programming environment.

Turing simplifies a lot of Pascal's syntax, but to me the greatest flaw would be that there appears to be no driving design goals with the language, with the syntax catering to special cases rather than improvments being generalized so that they can be applied widely.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:21983
Death

Post by Death »

Ya, turing's syntax is very simple. Most of the syntax is ONE word, followed by a function. Really quite easy to use, but it's good for teaching concepts such as loops and junk. The object orinted one was actually not that bad. The dos one sucked because of all the bugs and compilor issues, but the Object Oriented one is actually decent. It's quite different than actual programmin languages such as C++ and Java though. Kind of makes your eyes glaze over when you see Java syntax after programming in Turing for a good 2 years. Kind of makes you wanna go WTF many times. I still don't understand why Java has to capitalize the first letters of a line of code. Why not keep it all lower or higher case letters? The programmers must have been whacked up on goofballs when they were creating it.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:22433
wtd

Post by wtd »

Java has a very simple naming scheme, and a relatively decent one.

Code: Select all

ClassName
variableOrFunctionName
CONSTANT_VALUE[code]

The use of capital letters makes it clear where one word ends and another begins, making longer names readable.

[code]variableorfunctionname[code]

Or:

[code]VARIABLEORFUNCTIONNAME[code]

Can you read those as quickly as you could the first version that Java uses?

Class names begin with a capital letter to indicate that they are the names of classes.  They should stand out when you read the code, and this way they do.

Constants, being allcaps, also stand out quite nicely, since they too are different and should stand out. 

[color=#888888][size=85]Archived topic from Iceteks,  old topic ID:2290, old post ID:22476[/size][/color]
Death

Post by Death »

You can use all caps for java now? Well, it's about time. That's half decent now. Well, it helps if you have the most recent version of it (I was probably using a really old one). :(

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:22523
wtd

Post by wtd »

Furball wrote: You can use all caps for java now? Well, it's about time. That's half decent now. Well, it helps if you have the most recent version of it (I was probably using a really old one). :(
No, you can't. Java is a case-sensitive language. String, string, STRING, and sTrInG, are all different names as far as Java is concerned.

Pascal and Ada95 are decently powerful languages that are case-insensitive, though, if that's your thing.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:22526
Death

Post by Death »

Ya, I thought so. Java always used to anger me because of the case-sensitive syntax. One wrong letter and you're screwed.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:2290, old post ID:23110